I'm not usually big on sweets. However, being pregnant and surrounded by all things 'candy' and 'treat' this time of year is proving to be a lethal combination. And when you have a preschool Fall Festival party to plan as homeroom mom, that means you have to come up with goodies that are allergy-friendly and still taste like a treat.
So this week my 4-year-old daughter and I tested out these ghost PEEPS + rice crispy squares. They were not only delicious (and obviously adorable) but also budget-friendly and easy to make. Which means sharing with y'all is a must. So here's the scoop:
5 Tbsp + 1/2 Tbsp salted Kerrygold grass-fed butter
8 cups + 2 cups gluten free marshmallows (Kraft brand jet-puffed marshmallows are gluten free)
6 cups rice crispy cereal
16 PEEPS ghost marshmallows
1. Line a 9x9 baking pan with foil and spray lightly with coconut oil cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large pot over LOW heat melt butter. Once butter is fully melted add in 8 cups of marshmallows, stirring occasionally.
3. Once the marshmallows are fully melted, remove from heat and stir in your rice crispy cereal one cup at a time. Stir gently until cereal is completely covered in marshmallow mixture.
4. Pour combined mixture into prepared 9x9 pan. Spray the flat side of a measuring cup with coconut oil cooking spray. Using the flat side of the measuring cup, press the rice crispy mixture evenly into the pan. Don't pack it in too tightly, you want the finished rice crispy treats to be light and airy.
5. Allow the rice crispy treat mixture to cool completely (approximately 20 minutes) before cutting into 16 squares.
6. Once the treats are cut into individual squares, heat a small saucepan with 1/2 Tbsp butter on LOW heat. Let butter completely melt.
7. Add the remaining 2 cups of marshmallows to the melted butter and let mixture melt until lumpy.
8. Spread approximately 1 Tbsp (or spoonful) of marshmallow mixture onto top of each finished rice crispy square. This will act as the glue that holds the PEEPS ghost on top.
9. While marshmallow mixture is tacky set your PEEPS ghost on top and twist it 180* around to really mush it into the sticky mixture, giving it a solid adhesion to the rice crispy treat.
10. OPTIONAL* - using a butane torch you can brown the edges of the marshmallows to give them a hint of smoky s'mores flavor.
NOTE - These spooky + sweet treats are best served same day. So you can blame me that the entire batch needs to be eaten immediately and enjoy them guilt free. Kinda. Or you can share them with neighbors and classmates like we did - because sharing makes them even sweeter!